Welcome

Everyone has a voice, and a choice to use it well, use it poorly, or not to use it at all.


Friday, May 6, 2011

Summer: Time to Read

I love reading good books. A good book engages the imagination, edifies the spirit, and enriches the mind. However, due to my busy schedule this semester, I have read only a few books since Christmas break. I have had to postpone my plan  to read several books on scriptural reliability. I hope to be able to get into that this summer, though I will be working full time for most of it, so no guarantee. In the mean time, I recommend that you read these books, all of which I have either read or have been strongly recommended to me.

The Cross Centered Life*
by C.J. Mahaney

This book is a great one for Christians. It assumes the reader will have a basic knowledge of the Gospel. You can read it in a day. Practicing the practical habits will enrich your walk with God.

A Severe Mercy
by Sheldon Vanauken

This book is phenomenal for anyone to read, especially those who are hungry in the spiritual department - Christian or other. It takes an honest look at the conversion experience of a skeptic of Christianity and of Christ.


Endurance*
by Sir Alfred Lansing

This is one of my favorite books. Read it when you want an exposition on leadership, a story of adventure, insight into human interaction, or a history of an important phase in exploration.

Humility
by C. J. Mahaney

Two different people have recommended this book to me, so I am excited to read it this summer.


Spiritual Leadership*
by J. Oswald Sanders

After reading books by John Maxwell and others on leadership, this is my favorite. Like Maxwell in The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, Sanders goes through the qualities which characterize a leader. However, Sanders’ perspective is distinctly Spiritual. This book is very enriching.

Desiring God
by John Piper

Those of you who are from Christian circles have heard of this book. I haven’t read it yet, it is on my list. It comes very highly recommended.

Jesus on Leadership*
by C. Gene Wilkes

This is one I hope to re-read this summer. More than any other book, this one transformed by perspective on leadership. Wilkes examines Jesus’ style of leadership, and does an excellent job of unpacking and explaining it.  

The Seven Summits*
by Dick Bass

Another classic adventure books. It follows two men (pros in the executive world, amateurs in the outdoor world) as they attempt to climb the highest mountain on all seven continents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!